[Wikipedia-l] 130.94.122.197

Toby Bartels toby at math.ucr.edu
Sat Jul 6 11:45:37 UTC 2002

Mysteriously, wikipedia-l itself wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:

>><What links here> no longer indicates what links through redirects.
>>I think that this is a significant loss of function.

>I need to be convinced that this is the right thing to do.
>The redirect pages themselves /are/ listed, and you can likewise
>see a list of what links to them.  If the function automagically
>skipped over redirects to list two-level links mixed with one-
>level links, the list would be a bad picture of the real state
>of the database.  Maybe it could list them separately (i.e.,
>just do a second lookup for every link page found that is a
>redirect).  That's not a bad idea.

Indeed, that's exactly what the old version currently does.
But your new new system is even better.

>>The watchlist no longer watches User: pages or Wikipedia: pages.
>>It's bad enough that User talk: and Wikipedia talk: weren't
>>watched; now it's worse.

>I don't know what you're talking about here.  You can add any page
>from any namespace to your watchlist, and it will work just fine.
>In addition, if you watch an encyclopedia page, it will automatically
>add the corresponding talk page to the watch.

I've figured out what's going on.
In the old version, if I watched any page of the form, say, [[*:Wesley]],
then this put [[Wesley]], [[Talk:Wesley]], and [[User:Wesley]]
(but not [[User talk:Wesley]], even if that's the page I watched)
in my watchlist, all as part of watching for [[Wesley]].
In the new system, OTOH, [[Wesley]] and [[Talk:Wesely]] are one thing,
while [[User:Wesley]] and [[User talk:Wesley]] are completely different.
When you converted the database to your new system,
you kept [[Wesley]] on my watchlist, but not [[User:Wesley]].
The only error, then, is in the conversion process.
All the [[User:]] and [[Wikipedia:]] articles were dropped from my watchlist
(because they were never there in the first place, only the [[:]] versions).

>That's a reasonable thing.  Please add it as a feature request to
>Sourceforge so it won't get lost.

Yeah, I didn't see how to do this Sourceforge stuff right away,
which is why I posted all of my comments to the mailing list.
Don't worry, I get it now; what you haven't implemented already
will be there shortly.

>It was previously the exact red color of followed links, and I
>made it a darker red so it wouldn't conflict.  If your followed
>links are purple, that's a personal browser setting.  Most
>browsers use red.

Really?  I've never seen this.  All of my graphical browsers
use purple (by default, that is -- they're all adjustable).
Anyway, if the colours used to conflict and don't know,
then I'll gladly live with *similar* colours to keep others from seeing
*identical* colours.  Maybe even modernise my browsers' settings ^_^.

-- Toby Bartels
   toby at math.ucr.edu

PS: Any idea why I stopped receiving this mailing list around July 2?
    I've been reading it in the archives since then.
    Does this happen by chance sometimes and I just need to resubscribe?