[Wikipedia-l] 'ing' words

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Jan 25 17:18:08 UTC 2002

Ulrich Grassberger wrote:
> I don´t like to be paranoid either, it sucks. However, I see that
> the search engine does different again on other words: Zero hits
> for reason but 2 for reasoning. Zero hits for most *ings. Is
> there manual editing involved, or doesn´t the search engine do a
> complete re-indexing every week or so?

There is no manual editing involved.  I don't have time for that.

The search engine does a complete re-indexing whenever I run it by
hand.  I hesitate to put it on a cron job because I like to monitor
the machine while I'm re-indexing... due to potential load problems.
I'm sure I could do a better job.

In any event, you'll find that 'Conditioning' now returns
'[Conditioning]' as the first result, as it should.  :-)

If I'm visited by any corporate/government agents who desire to keep this
incredibly powerful information suprressed, I'll let you know... if they
don't lock me up first.

--Jimbo