[Wikipedia-l] Test the new software! test.wikipedia.com is up!

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Fri Jan 18 01:20:53 UTC 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:

> >http://test.wikipedia.com/
> >Please visit the website, and report bugs and request any *really*
> >essential features.
>
> Well, my extensive use of subpages in Poker get translated pretty
> badly, so I'll have to do a lot of manual fixing there.  But I'm
> probably the worst case on that score, and I don't think the problem
> is that bad, and I'd much rather do it now than after 20,000 more
> pages are added.

I think what would help a lot is if there were added, to the conversion
script, something that made [[Poker/Bluff]] (for instance) into
[[Poker/Bluff|Bluff]].  It appears that what the script does right now is
to convert instances of [[/Bar]] on a [[Foo]] subpage into [[Foo/Bar]].
I'd say it would be better in 95% of the cases to convert it instead into
[[Foo/Bar|Bar]].

> Likewise, I'd like to tweak the code for dictionary lists a bit
> before I add 20 more pages of poker jargon, but that too can be
> done post-live, and I can do the code myself as soon as it's in
> some reasonable source control system like Sourceforge CVS.
>
> So I'm certainly in favor of going live.

Woo-hoo!

Larry