[Wikipedia-l] another copyright issue

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jan 14 19:16:03 UTC 2002

Laura T. wrote:
> I haven't been doing much more than skimming the list but I do have a
> question about copyrights and Wikipedia. What if someone posts their own
> article as a Wikipedia topic? I posted one of my articles which I also gave
> to a garden site and posted in my own column at BackWash. I'm the only one
> who has a copyright to the article. Was that ok to do?

It's o.k. to do, but by doing so, you're releasing the article under
GNU FDL, which means that anyone can redistribute it and edit it to
say anything they like.  If that's o.k. with you, and presumably it
is, then it's great!

> PS- Are there no other women taking part in this? I feel a bit like I've
> snuck into the boys room. ;)

:-) Ruth Ifcher is around (RoseParks on wikipedia) and Janet Davis
writes a lot on the Wikipedia.  I'm not sure if they are on the
mailing list, though.  Oh, and there's also PinkUnicorn.

--Jimbo