[Wikipedia-l] Re: Incorrect HTML encoding--something new?

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Jan 14 19:05:26 UTC 2002

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Each user can run her favorite page through the validator and fix
> the HTML code in the user-edited wiki text until it passes.

I dunno.  Seems pretty unwiki to me.  One of the key principles of
wikipedia is that anyone can edit without having to know much of
anything.  Requiring them to input semantically perfect HTML seems a
bit much.

Of course, I have no opposition to having some easy way for people who
care about such things (not me) to run any page through a validator
_if they feel like it_.

> The validator assumed the contents was HTML 2.0 (!), because of
> the insufficient DTD declaration at the top of the HTML code.

O.k., well, I'm in over my head a bit.  My feeling is that we should
be generating a very low level of HTML, so that all browsers can be
sure to render it.  So why do we want to force 4.0?

--Jimbo