[Wikipedia-l] Re: wiki source cvs

Robert Bihlmeyer robbe+wiki at orcus.priv.at
Mon Jan 14 15:50:53 UTC 2002

Larry Sanger <lsanger at nupedia.com> writes:

> This, by the way, would be a great feature for Wikipedia to be able to
> use; we'd certainly like Wikipedia articles to be convertable to DocBook
> XML format.  That's what we decided we wanted to use as an XML DTD for
> Nupedia, and surely we'd want to use it for Wikipedia too.

I'm not convinced that DocBook is the best DTD for this kind of
content. I like it very much for (computer-oriented) technical
documentation, but for a more general topic? When used to its full
extent DB is also quite baroque, and most of it probably wouldn't be
used (for example the GUISUBMENU element <g>). Take a look at
<URL:http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/part2.html> to get an overview
of DocBook elements.

A simpler, encylopedia-specific DTD may be better. On the other hand,
I don't know of any off-the-shelf DTD that fits this description, and
a DocBook-subset may be better supported by other software than any
DTD that's just used by Nupedia (and maybe Wikipedia).

--
Robbe