[Wikipedia-l] Re: Categories in the PHP script

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Sun Jan 13 20:01:37 UTC 2002

I'd like to mention two simple technical solutions that came to my mind
reading the last posts:

1. The cat: namespace is a nice idea. Maybe [[cat:foobar]] could point to
the same page as does [[foobar]], so the script could tell apart when you
mean "link" and when you mean "category".

2. Another way would be to have no {{}} or [[cat:]] or the like at all, but
use the "pages that link here" function I already implemented. Instead of a
seperate page, it could be included by a variable on every page that
(supposedly) is a category. The advantage would be that we'd only have to
add "see also" links or the like on all the pages to have them listed. The
disadvantage would be having pages listed that we don't want to have (e.g.,
"HomePage" would be listed on the "Biology" page, because it links there).

But currently, I don't think the problem is a technological one. IMHO the
question is "have category functionality or not?".
I'll leave that one to the rest of the community and to the "higher
powers";)

Magnus