[Wikipedia-l] colons

kband at www.llamacom.com kband at www.llamacom.com
Mon Feb 25 21:12:48 UTC 2002

> From: <kband at www.llamacom.com>
> >
> > Yup, there are good counterarguments. The central one is that because
> > the main wikipedia holds the vast majority of information on the site,
> > most links are into the main site, no matter what section the page is
> > in.
>
> Yes, so?
>
> > Note also that if the change were turned on, all current links would
> > need to be automagically changed.
>
> No, it wouldn't. I've explained this a couple of postings ago. Because we
> would turn the switch that redirects links in a namespace that have no
> specified namespace to the same namspace. We only need to change the page
> titles and that can be done with a single SQL statement.

This is pretty wikitech, but e.g. on a user page, say there's a
link to [[mind control]]. I don't want that to default to
[[user:mind control]].

> > But this should be lower priority than fixing the many, many bugs the
> > current software has.
>
> We are working on that. Any bug you would like to go first?

Here's a short list.

#1 would be restoring the old wikipedia edit history, but I suspect
that won't ever happen, so:

#2 www.wikipedia.com homepage doesn't recognize a user as logged in if
you link to it from another site or type in the url; only once you go
to a www.wikipedia.com/wiki/* page does it recognize you.

#3 Can't edit a redirected entry

#4 Edit conflict on re-direct to nonexistent page

#5 Edit conflict on using back button to edit some more

I recommend setting up a bugzilla.wikipedia.com to make life easier.

--tc