[Wikipedia-l] colons

kband at www.llamacom.com kband at www.llamacom.com
Sun Feb 24 23:05:25 UTC 2002

I just realized we don't need to forbid the use of colons in titles;
unlike the subpage "/", the only time colons are used as a special
character are with the limited number of namespaces.

Thus instead of the ":" being a reserved character anywhere in a
title, only "user:", "talk:", "wikipedia:" etc. need to be
reserved. Any other uses of colons should be fine. This will let us
have entries for books with standard formatting of the subtitle (e.g.,
"The Muggles: A Tale of Woe") or other natural uses of the colon.

-TC