[Wikipedia-l] Re: Simple XML ideas

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Thu Feb 14 16:28:18 UTC 2002

From: "Magnus Manske" <Magnus.Manske at epost.de>

> We,, the conversion script just couldn't figure out what is user page and
> what is article, so all of it got converted the same way. Fell free to
> create "User:Jan Hidders/Whatever", just remember to link back to your
user
> page (~~~).

Of course, my point was that people apparently have a need to create a few
pages for themselves. These pages should be in the user namespace. So it
should be tempting and obvious for the user to create his or her pages there
when on it's own home page.

The usual semantics of namespaces is that by default, i.e., when no
namespace is indicated, links stay within that namespace. Note how nicely
that fits in, for example, with special frozen articles that, by default,
link to other frozen articles. (But with some redirection of course, if
there is no such frozen version at the end of the link.) That is actually
what you would like for the user namespace, because then (when you are on
your home page) it would take some effort to create a page that is outside
that name space. But this is a bit cumbersome because the home pages and the
other personal pages of all the users would be in the same name space. This
suggests to me that every user should have his or her own namespace.

-- Jan Hidders