[Wikipedia-l] Re: Simple XML ideas

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Wed Feb 13 13:35:15 UTC 2002

From: "Magnus Manske" <Magnus.Manske at epost.de>

> But, then you want to filter all non-encyclopedia articles from your
search
> (should become a standard option on searches). Then what?  Now, all you
have
> to do is say "no articles with : in them". How do you filter something
like
> "Talk (Axel Boldt)"? All articles starting with "Talk ("?

.. and ending with ")". Exactly.

> And then the same thing for wikipedia?

Yes, everying ending with "(Wikipedia)" is filtered out if you choose so.
Why do you think that is a problem?

> And move the user pages back into the normal namespace?

No, you would have "Axel Boldt (User)". The namespaces "(Wikipedia)" and
"(User)" would probably then be special restricted namespaces that replace
"special:" and "user:".

> > Why? This would keep the software and the interface simple and more
> > consistent. Look at the links to namespaces at the bottom of pages.
> > Sometimes there is none, sometimes one, sometimes two. Why is that?
> > And why on earth is the link to a discussion page called
> > a namespace? And why is there no Talk page for SpecialPages?
>
> Looks more like a layout problem than anything else. At the time I
installed
> namespaces, listing all of 'em "en blocc" seemed easiest. No reason not to
> change that to something more readable.

How about user friendliness? Is that not a good reason? But the names was
only one point. What matters is that it should be either obvious or easy to
explain why these links are there an what they mean. I believe we can do
better than this.

-- Jan Hidders