[Wikipedia-l] Subsections

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Feb 13 00:45:34 UTC 2002

Larry wrote:
> I'd like to see one example of an article, or a class of articles, that
> would be clearly improved by being put in article-with-subsections form,
> rather than simply broken into a series of shorter articles.

I understand that you want an example, and I don't intend to make one.
That was why I just mentioned potential power of section headings as
loose idea on the tech list.  Many encyclopedias have really long
articles that are subdivided in this way.  Making separate articles
(without using subpages) requires that they can stand alone with just
a brief introduction at the top.  This is fine with [[Swedish
monarchs]] or [[History of Poland]], which don't need to be part of
[[Sweden]] or [[Poland]].  But "The Middle Ages" is a section heading
in [[History of Poland]].  If broken out into a separate article, what
title should that page have?  Maybe [[Medieval history of Poland]]?

--
  Lars Aronsson
  <lars at aronsson.se>