[Wikipedia-l] Simple XML ideas

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Tue Feb 12 23:01:37 UTC 2002

From: "Jimmy Wales" <jwales at bomis.com>
> If we used namespaces, this would be:
>
> [[George Washington]]
>
> [[person:George Washington]]

Why not [[George Washington (person)]]. I thought that was the whole point
of having namespaces. That reminds of something else I wanted to ask. Why do
we now have two namespace concepts? (We have "X:Y" and we have "Y (X)".) I
would vote for one namespace concept with one notation: X (Y).

> But I think we should think really hard about the dangers of
> proliferating namespaces too quickly.  One of the things we have to
> think really hard about is making sure that any transition to more
> comprensive semantic markup doesn't frighten and confuse people.

Oh dear. Just talking about "comprehensive semantic markup" already
frightens and confuses me. :-) Sounds too much like the semantic web for me.
That will never work.

-- Jan Hidders