[Wikipedia-l] Copyright notices

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Feb 7 00:13:59 UTC 2002

While we're on the subject of copyright notices, a little question about
the copyright assertion on the upload page. Currently it reads:

  [ ] I hereby affirm that this file is *not copyrighted*, or that I own
  the copyright for this file and donate it to Wikipedia.

Which has been questioned as ambiguous as to whether the *use* or the
*copyright* of the file is being donated. A revised version was just
checked into the code in the CVS repository which reads:

  [ ] I hereby affirm that this file is *not copyrighted*, or that I own
  the copyright for this file and place it under GPL licence.

Now, I'm assuming that the "GPL" is a typo for "GFDL", which can be
easily corrected before the change goes online. With that in mind, can
we all agree that the new message is sufficiently clear and correct? If
not, what ought it to say?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)