[Wikipedia-l] New to the Wikipedia with a few questions

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Mon Feb 4 19:15:21 UTC 2002

Hello!

>On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>> 3.  The major remaining expense is Larry's editorial leadership,
which
>> I believe has been a major factor in the success of the project to
>> date.  Fans of random anarchy may disagree, of course.  And if they
>> do, I'm happy to provide them (so long as the license is free!) with
>> web space to have a totally unmanaged project.  I think they'll get
>> crap, though.

This sounds a bit strange if you read it with the national wikipedias in
mind. At least the German Wikipedia doesn't have an editorial leadership
and is IMHO quite good described by "random anarchy". But it's far away
from crap.

> Anyway, my 10c is that both volunteer editorship, and if that fails,
> random anarchy should be _tried_ before we (I hesitate to say "we"
here,
> as I'm new to the project) try advertisments.

I don't like advertisments, too. They don't annoy me, because I have a
filter program running, but I think they'll lower the reputation (or
does "prestige" fit better?) of the project, especially to newcomers.
But I don't want Larry to loose his job! :-) So affiliate links to
bookstores would be okay for me.

Bye,
Kurt