[Wikipedia-l] Historical NPOV and wikipedian NPOV

martin.harper at speechmachines.com martin.harper at speechmachines.com
Wed Dec 11 11:52:33 UTC 2002

Hi folks.

I'm curious about the relationship between historical NPOV and wikipedian
NPOV.

If I understand Julie correctly, historians tend to refrain from making
moral judgements about history, particularly when the people of that
period had a significantly different world view. So it's not OK to say
that "women were treated unfairly", but it is OK to say that "women were
not able to vote or own property" - the former being a statement of
morality and the latter being one of historical fact. Similarly,
historians explain things in terms of the temporal context, so the Rape of
the Sabines in Rome would be explained in terms of how the romans viewed
women, sex, marriage, and the necessity of making lots of little Romans
who would grow up to throw weird-shaped spears and feature in historical
novels.

However, certain periods in history have been reinterpreted by later
generations. The inquisition is a classic example, in that some neopagan
religions have used as a quasi-historical basis. Also, (IIRC) later
christian leaders have retrospectively apologised for the inquisition, so
clearly they were judging the morality of the period against modern
morality. The inquisition has been used as evidence for the claim that
christianity and/or organised religion is amoral. Finally, the term "witch
hunt" is an idiom for an irrational search for evil-doers that works
similarly to the way the Salem trials and the Inquisition are supposed (in
popular imagination) to have been conducted.

The historical NPOV would seem (if I read Julie right) to be to ignore
these later moral judgements as fundamentally ahistorical, anachronistic,
and irrelevant. My question is, is the wikipedian NPOV "wider" than the
historical NPOV: should we include content that historians would judge
inappropriate? If so, how can we include it so that the historical view is
not damaged or confused by non-historical approaches?

Martin Harper