[Wikipedia-l] Moderation

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww+wikipedia at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Dec 11 19:51:49 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:14:59AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> Julie said some things about Erik's behavior that needed to be said.
> They may not have been pleasant things, but they did not constitute a
> flame either.
>
> Neither did my detailing of RK's behavior constitute a flame; it was a
> factual appeal to the list for help in dealing with something
> destructive to the community.

And to complete the set, what Erik wrote about Julie was not flaming,
either.

What we have is people disagreeing with each other's behaviour, and
describing what they disapprove of. It would doubtless have been
possible to do so with rather more tact on all sides, but there's value
in honesty, too.

Flames are valueless, unconstructive insults. I've seen no flaming on
either this list or -en for some time. I don't think either list needs
moderating yet.

-M-