[Wikipedia-l] ISBN links

Stephen Gilbert canuck_in_korea2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 01:38:25 UTC 2002

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> One way to do that would be to say: look, here's a
> bunch of book
> stores.  Use the one that's best for you.  We don't
> like Amazon much,
> for reasons X, Y, and Z.  But if you are going to
> shop there anyway,
> please use this link so that they make less money
> and wikipedia can
> have a little dough for new servers and what not.

The problem is, such a strategy would probably drive
away a significant amount of people. "Wikipedia
doesn't like Amazon, but they make money off of Amazon
sales? Humph." It's not worth a couple of bucks.

That being said, I don't think we should expect Jimbo
to keep us in servers for the rest of his life...

Stephen G.