[Wikipedia-l] Book links (was: ISBN links)

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Aug 29 22:01:37 UTC 2002

>It's actually easier to implement as a special page as Brion
>points out: ISBNs will generate a link to
>"/wiki/Special:Booksources?isbn=XXXXX", and that special page
>will have links to Pricescan, AddAll, Amazon,

Why not allow for
   Special:Booksources?isbn=XXXXX&titlewords=YYYY&author=ZZZ
with all values optional. All the above mentioned sites can search
books based on author and title. We could then also add ebay links for
example, as well as links to catalogs of libaries which participate in
interlibrary loan.

The Title/Author combination has the advantage that it captures all
editions and therefore doesn't age like ISBN numbers do.

We just have to come up with some catchy wiki notation for the book
links. Maybe
   [[book:Douglas Hofstadter|Godel, Escher, Bach|0465026567]]
(again with all fields optional) could turn into a
link to Special:Booksources and render as something like
"(find this book)".

Axel