[Wikipedia-l] On the uselessness of stubs

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 14:37:18 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 06:21 pm,  tarquin wrote:
> In the same way, Wikipedia is not a ready-made, printed, paper
> encyclopedia. It's a *working* encyclopedia.
> Stubs are part of that on-going work

Exactly -- we need to make this point more clear wherever appropriate. We
need to say something to the effect that: Wikipedia is betaware (at best) so
don't trust anything here and everything is still under fairly heavy
development. Sometime after we reach our stated goal of 100,000 /complete/
articles we will set up some type of validation system whereby articles are
either voted-for for accuracy or where qualified experts review the content.

We are probably several years away from our stated goal of 100,000 /complete/
articles (However, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 100,000 articles under
our current liberal definition by the end of next year though -- maybe even
by the end of next summer).

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)