[Wikipedia-l] Fwd: Re: Wikipedia.org request use of your modified 1913 dictionary definitions

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Aug 27 19:01:06 UTC 2002

Daniel Mayer wrote:
>     Thanks for your inquiry about the modified Webster (copied below).
>     To answer the main question, the GCIDE files available on the
> GNU server are freely usable under the ***GNU GPL.***

Just remember that the GNU GPL and GNU FDL are not compatible. If he
owns the copyright, he can relicense the material suitably for our use
(but should explicitly do so!)

As far as importing our stuff into his project; copyright is held by the
contributors. Either he has to make the project GFDL, or ask permission
from the individual author(s) if they're not anonymous. (I would happily
say yes about any of my stuff.)

(However small quotations, particularly if marked as such and cited,
ought to be acceptable anyway under fair use.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)