[Wikipedia-l] German anti-free speech law and Helga

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 26 20:32:13 UTC 2002

Fred Bauder wrote:

>>>The law considers denying of the holocaust as an insultation
>>>of the dead. Insulting someone is not protected by the right
>>>of free speech, AFAIK that's the same in the US.
>>>
>>No, it's not.  Insults are speech too, and often hig art.
>>We protect them too, and rightly so.  As our supreme court
>>said said, "If freedom means anything at all, it means
>>freedom for the thought we hate."
>>

>That's why it's a "high art." Avoiding libel and slander is not easly. Most
>of our public victims in the US are public figures, covered by an
>exception. In Colorado speaking ill is the dead is in the criminal code as
>the crime of slander. Never enforced, perhaps unconstitutional, but there.

The art of innuendo!

Some of the state legislatures have passed some weird things.  Often it
was one legislator pushing something through as a test to see if his
colleages were awake.  They weren't.  I believe that it was the
"Saturday Evening Post" that used to have a regular column about some of
these strange laws.  Things could get really strange when somebody took
them seriously and tried to enforce them.

Eclecticology