[Wikipedia-l] better MOVE documentation?

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Fri Aug 23 17:51:47 UTC 2002

>koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:
>> Should we document the moving of a page from one location to
another in the article's history?  e.g. create a new line in the
history showing the time and user with an autogenerated comment
like "article moved from [[IMDb]] to [[Internet Movie Database]]"?

>YES YES YES, we should do that. Should be pretty straightforward.

That's easy for you to say :-)

Article histories are not stored as change records; they are
constructed from stored revisions.  Moving an article doesn't
create a revision--it actually renames the article record and
all its revision records, so as far as the database is concerned
the article has /always/ had the new name--it doesn't know any
different.

To keep a log of moves would require a new table to record them,
and the changing the article history list to use that new table.
Not a major obstacle, but not a quickie either.