[Wikipedia-l] median article size decreasing

Karl Juhnke yangfuli at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 06:31:15 UTC 2002

I got so curious about my own suggested statistic of median article
size that I have been tracking it by hand.  So far the data is:

Date  Median article size in bytes
----  ----------------------------
8/15  1001
8/18   999
8/19   997
8/20   995
8/21   995
8/22   991

My hyposthesis on the basis of one week of observation is that,
although our front page article count is rocketing up, this indicates
many new small articles, and thus a dcrease in the expected information
contained in a random article.

Just thought y'all might like to know.
Peace,
-Karl

P.S. It is also possible that there is something inaccurate about the
way I am calculating the median article size.  What I do is take the
article count from the front page (say 38000), divide by 2 (19000), and
then go to the special page "long articles" and look up the size of the
19000th longest article.