[Wikipedia-l] Timezone based on UTC? (was: New e-mail feature)

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Aug 21 20:05:32 UTC 2002

> Agreed. Is there any reason we can't just set the internal clock
> on the machine to UTC? (I personally can't, as I don't have root
> access to the server.)
>
> I suppose we might want to automagically add 7 (or 8?) hours to
> the timezone settings of anyone who's set it, of course, so they
> still end up correct.

Yes, whether we fix it by changing the server time itself, or by
fixing the software to use UTC instead of server time, the user
table in the database will have to be updated.

Changing the time on the server is a decision Jimbo/Jason will have
to make, because it may have effects with other machines on their
network.  I really should fix the software; it's just that I haven't
personally felt that it was an important thing to spend time on, but
I suppose there are enough complaints now to raise that priority.