[Wikipedia-l] Timezone based on UTC? (was: New e-mail feature)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Wed Aug 21 19:55:35 UTC 2002

Jaap van Ganswijk wrote:
> And can you also add an option in the preferences, so
> that people can enter their time compared to GMT? (Or
> what is it currently also called, UTC?) It's very
> unusual for the rest of the world to have to have to
> give their time as an offset to a local USA time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Agreed. Is there any reason we can't just set the internal clock on the
  machine to UTC? (I personally can't, as I don't have root access to
the server.)

I suppose we might want to automagically add 7 (or 8?) hours to the
timezone settings of anyone who's set it, of course, so they still end
up correct.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)