[Wikipedia-l] Where to put acknowledgements

Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz kpj at kki.net.pl
Wed Aug 21 10:54:53 UTC 2002

On 21-08-2002, Jan Hidders wrote thusly :
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:09:53AM +0200, Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz wrote:
> > I feel that it wouldn't be proper for Wikipedia to give credits and
> > acknowledgements on article pages themselves. It wouldn't be Wikiwiki.
> Au contraire! WikiWiki is also about community building and as the biggest
> kid on the block Wikipedia has a certain responsibility here. The more
> interlinked the open-content sites are, the better it is. And as Axel
> already said, it is simply a matter of common courtesy: treat others as you
> would like them to treat you.
Knowledge, information and content cross all borders. It is the property
of mankind.
I agree that some acknowledgement should be made but not neccessarily
on the page. I think most of us take advantage of a lot of sources and
resources. We don't want them all listed on the pages ?
OK. What's the consensus here ?
> > After a time there can be very little left from the original source
> > and it would be just misleading to state "it is based on...".
> > It will be a nuisance to find out when it is Wikipedia's rather than
> > the original author.
> Why would you want to? Even if the original version only served as
> scaffolding for the current article, I still feel a link on the page would
> be warranted.
> > Either we should create a separate acknowledgement page or we should work
> > out some mechanism for including a short note in the header or foot of
> > pages.
> Hmm. As long as it shows up in the article itself. We might even have a
> little pull-down menu on the edit pages with all the open-content sources
> that have given explicit permission.
Something like that.

Regards,
kpjas.