[Wikipedia-l] Junking Spanish Wikipedia?

Jan Hidders hidders at uia.ua.ac.be
Wed Aug 14 17:02:27 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 03:44:22PM -0700, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> I'm very much opposed to closing any of our language wikipedias.

Very understandable, but on the other hand, their site has the greatest
momentum and that is what counts. If I would be Spanish-speaking and
wondered about which site I would contribute to, the choice wouldn't be
hard; you go where the action is.

If you want a Spanish Wikipedia then the only realistic option I see is
trying to get them back into the Wikipedia family by establishing more and
closer contact. Asking them if there could be translation links back and
forth would then probably be a good first step. The next step could then be
to get all the Wikipedias in sync with the software updates and do
everything to keep them that way. Perhaps their user base might then start
to wonder if this separation is really worthwhile.

[ bad pun about a big fish trying to eat a little fish deleted ]

-- Jan Hidders