[Wikipedia-l] Re: MetaTree

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Wed Aug 14 14:44:35 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:
> >I think its a pain in the ass.  If I'm reading about music and click on
> >"pitch" I do *not* want to be told about tar-like substances and places where
> >sport is played.  It distracts me from the matter at hand.
> >
> gareth, are you saying that when you look for something in a paper
> encyclopedia you *never* stop off and read about something else that has
> caught your eye?
> That's the huge joy of reference works!

No, I think he's saying that if he wants to browse aimlessly, there
are better ways to do that in wikipedia than to have strange "blind
links" that don't lead where the reader would expect.

If I'm reading an article about music in a paper encyclopedia, and it tells me
to "see also Musical Pitch", then I go there to read that.  In the wikipedia,
of course, we have a more natural way of linking to [[pitch]] within a sentence.
But we should linke to [[musical pitch|pitch]], right?