[Wikipedia-l] Junking Spanish Wikipedia?

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Wed Aug 14 01:01:20 UTC 2002

|From: Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com>
|Sender: wikipedia-l-admin at nupedia.com
|Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:44:22 -0700
|
|Tom Parmenter wrote:
|> Spanish speakers wouldn't like it to be called a Wikipedia because
|> they really don't even like saying or hearing the "Wiki" part, both
|> the "w" and the "k" sound being foreign and unpleasant.
|
|For the Esperanto people, I registered vikipedio.com/net/org
|
|I could do the same for Spanish people, if there is an acceptable analogue.

Keeping in mind that Spanish is itself phonetic and that I can't put a
diaresis over the u, the Spanish Royal Academy would probably spell it

			 g-u<diaresis>-q-u-i

based on their preferred spelling of "whisky" as

		       g-u<diaresis>-i-s-q-u-i

The diaresis is not an umlaut, but a diacritical mark indicating that
the U and the I are in separate syllables.  The Spanish aren't crazy
about this solution (whisky is usually just spelled whisky), but it is
the official one.  I don't know how you'd get a diaresis into a URL.

Perhaps you should check with contributor Perique des Palottes.

Tom

|I'm very much opposed to closing any of our language wikipedias.

|--Jimbo