[Wikipedia-l] Collaborative, up-to-the-minute construction of

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Tue Aug 13 11:40:10 UTC 2002

At 11:56 AM 8/12/02 -0700, Lee wrote:

>>Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> Information on contributing to the current events page
>>>[...]
>>> In this case the significance of the stock market downturn is not
>yet
>>> determined; the invasion may not happen at all but is sure to be
>>
>>Would it be wrong to write this under [[2002]] right away?  Even if
>>the invasion of Iraq in October doesn't happen, it is a fact that
>>during July and August many worried that it would, and this could be
>>worth noting anyway.  Besides "births", "deaths", and "events", the
>>year-in-review pages could have a new headline for "media reporting".
>>Or is that the same as "events"?
>
>I personally wouldn't put a non-event like that under a year page.
>The media reports lots of things, and people worry about a lot of
>things, that never happened and never will.  The year pages should
>report on what actually did happen.

Something did happen. Threats were made. Senate hearings were held. Iraq
and the rest of the world responded. And apparently in the Pentagon they
are very busy. There was a lot of media reporting and speculation. It all
adds up to a major event however uncertain the outcome. A position that
there is no event until an actual invasion occurs in untenable.

Fred