[Wikipedia-l] Moving vs. redirecting (sysop application)

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 22:18:22 UTC 2002

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Poor, Edmund W wrote:
>>It has come to my attention that the preferred way to change the name of an
>>article (when such a change is in fact warranted) is to MOVE the article
>>rather than use the clunky old REDIRECT feature.
>>May I please become a sysop, so I can use the MOVE feature?
>

> Any logged in user can move articles. Or has this changed?

It only recently changed *to* allowing any logged-in user to move
articles. (It has not changed back.)

But, if the title you want to move _to_ already exists (as a redirect to
the current title, or as a clunkily-made paste-in), you have to delete
it first, and _that_ requires being a sysop.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)