[Wikipedia-l] Non-breaking space

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 18:06:35 UTC 2002

Pierre Abbat wrote:
> On Monday 12 August 2002 03:56, Toby Bartels wrote:
>>Since Wikipedia web pages are in Latin-1,
>>an alternative would be to type in the 8-bit character directly:
>>" ".
>>
>>List: What are the pros and cons of this approach?
>
> If the browser is set to UTF-8, which is necessary to view pages that have
> characters beyond Latin-1, and the nbsp is preceded by an accented letter
> (C0-FF), the browser will display them as one character. I don't know what it
> will do if it sees an A0 by itself.

If your browser is set to UTF-8 on an ISO-8859-1 page, you're doing
something very wrong.

(Perhaps you're running Netscape 4.x, which has bugs that prevent it
from showing non-Latin-1 character entities unless you switch to a more
inclusive character encoding, thereby trashing any directly encoded
non-ASCII characters?)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)