[Wikipedia-l] date links...

Karen AKA Kajikit kaji at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Aug 12 08:17:11 UTC 2002

The normal form of date links in the wikipedia seems to be Febuary 1,
March 15 etc. However, people often try to link to date in different
forms - Febuary 1st, 15 March etc. I'm not sure what should be done
about that... However, as I speak, redirects are being created for dates
in number format - 8-11 etc. And there is a basic problem with that,
which if you look at my example shows up loud and clear. American date
format is NOT the same as Australian or English date format. I don't
know about the rest of the world, but in Australia and the UK dates are
written day/month/year NOT month/day/year. So if I were to write an
article and try to link to it using that format I'd end up on the wrong
day entirely.

Which day is 8-11? Right now it's being linked to September 11, but if I
was using it I'd want it to link to November 8... People shouldn't use
this format at all, and it especially shouldn't be automatically
disambiguated because it will make a LOT of facts apparantly 'wrong'.

If you want redirects for dates I'd make them only for the ordinal
numbers - 2nd, 16th etc. A lot of people use them in their writing
because they flow smoother than the other version.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

And on the seventh day, God said 'What my world needs is a creature that
will truly appreciate it in all its facets' -
and so He made the kitten.

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://Kajikit.netfirms.com/
Allergyfree Eating Recipe Swap: