[Wikipedia-l] Benevelent dictators

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 22:00:01 UTC 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 12:01 pm, The Cunctator wrote:
> On 8/10/02 2:13 PM, "Brion VIBBER" <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps you can prove it incorrect; don't do anything, and see whether
> > things go the way you want them to. ;)
>
> Or maybe we can have guidance come from consensus, not fiat.

Apples and oranges here. Wiki and free software development work differently
-- in free software development you /need/ benevolent dictators or what you
get is the type of performance and other software problems we had in Phase
II. Correct me if I am wrong, but under Phase II each developer could on a
whim add or take away things. Now everything major has to be reviewed by a
single highly competent and hard working person -- Lee.

And the result is a very functional website that makes it possible for
thousands of people to do things in the Wiki Way.

Just because we do things the Wiki Way with editing and other non-software
items /does not/ mean that we should extent this to the underlying software
(except where policy is concerned). If the software doesn't work then
Wikipedia is useless. Simple as that.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)