[Wikipedia-l] GUI? WYSIWYG?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 21:42:23 UTC 2002

On Saturday 10 August 2002 10:15 am, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen wrote:
> When someone makes a GUI frontend to
> Wikipedia, those features will become more
> sophisticated (wysiwyg).

Blasphemy! GUI? WYSIWYG? Now that would be unwiki.

Seriously; one of the reasons why we are successful is because there is a bit
of a learning curve to being a contributor (small, but it is there). I hate
to say it, but this small learning curve acts as a kind of filter against
those that have nothing but incoherent and random nonsense to "contribute".

If the basic concept ain't broke, why fix it? Wiki is dead easy to learn
anyway. But it does require some cognitive faculty and mental discipline to
get the hang of.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)