[Wikipedia-l] Transitioning toward a clean wiki syntax.

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Sat Aug 10 20:20:33 UTC 2002

> Just wondering: when did LDC become in charge of determining
> what Wikipedia's syntax should be?
>
> WRT to the double/single bracket issue: We're suffering from a
> legacy problem, since the double-bracket syntax was originally
> uncommon (as opposed to CamelCase), it was okay that it was more
> tedious than single-bracket.
>
> The best thing from a usability standpoint to do would be to
> switch from double brackets to single brackets.

An advantage of using double breackets only is that we'll then
be able to use single brackets as regular punctuation, which would
be especially handy in math articles, among others.

The answer to your first question is easy--you know where the code
is.  Like everything else here in Wiki land, the "authority" falls
on the ones willing to do the work.