[Wikipedia-l] Transitioning toward a clean wiki syntax.

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sat Aug 10 14:29:29 UTC 2002

On 8/9/02 7:38 PM, "lcrocker at nupedia.com" <lcrocker at nupedia.com> wrote:

>> What if "http:" was a namespace like "user:", you would use
>> [[namespace:<data>]] for all sorts of links and that would be it.
>> No more bare URLs and no [URL] with single brackets.
>
> Hmm.  That might work too, and would be even simpler. Thanks for
> the suggestion--I solicit comments on that as well. I don't think
> it would be too bad, though, to have an "external/internal"
> separation between one-bracket and two-bracket links if your idea
> has some technical problem I don't see right now.  That's pretty
> simple to understand an use.

Just wondering: when did LDC become in charge of determining what
Wikipedia's syntax should be?

WRT to the double/single bracket issue: We're suffering from a legacy
problem, since the double-bracket syntax was originally uncommon (as opposed
to CamelCase), it was okay that it was more tedious than single-bracket.

The best thing from a usability standpoint to do would be to switch from
double brackets to single brackets.