[Wikipedia-l] Software updates

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 02:23:26 UTC 2002

On Friday 09 August 2002 05:15 pm, Lee wrote:
> I made a round of bug fixes and other planned software updates today;
> most ofthem shouldn't even be noticeable by most of you, but one will
> be, so I'm giving the militia a heads up: "Move page" is now
> available to all logged in users.

I thought you were going to make an automatic promotion for this type of
thing based on some criteria beyond mere logged-in status? It is potentially
dangerous with newbie experiments and a drain on sysop resources to let
somebody who has been logged-in for 5 minutes the ability to do something
that can /only/ be corrected by a sysop and not by any other member of the
community.

After a /great/ deal of effort over several months a majority of articles are
now correctly named.

There should be some reasonable expectation that a user with such an ability
has been exposed to our naming conventions on capitalization, pluralization,
common names ect. It took me a month to figure out how to manually move an
article and by that time I learned how I was aware of and followed our naming
conventions. Now there is a simple button for that that can be pressed on a
whim by an experimenting newbie.

Does the move feature fix redirects now? Does it move talk pages
automatically? These are non-obvious things for a newbie to know about in the
first place, let alone fix after a move.

As I stated before I'm all for letting old hands the ability to do this and
many other sysop functions (if not all in one way or another), but newbies
who tend to improperly capitalize and pluralize article names because they
are unaware of our naming conventions?

Furthermore without a log of moved pages and a summary field for explaining
why a move is being made, it will be darn near impossible to catch these
things after they have dropped off of RecentChanges.

Please reconsider. It already takes me two hours a day just to greet new
users and check past edits for vandalism in RecentChanges. This is yet
another thing I and the other sysops have to review and fix when needed.

--mav