[Wikipedia-l] Discussion forum for bugs/features

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Aug 10 00:45:24 UTC 2002

Toby Bartels wrote:

>Under Phase II, we used [[Bug reports]] and [[Feature requests]]
>not merely to list desired features and undesired bugs
>but also to talk about them in a wiki way.
>Under Phase III, we instead use SourceForge for this.
>But SourceForge doesn't lend itself to discussion.
>
>In short, I think that we miss the discussion that we had in Phase II.
>We need a place for people to submit items for Wikipedians' approval
>other than SourceForge, but we need to use SourceForge too.
>Ideas?

Toby makes a good point.  It strikes me that this is just another of
these techie/non-techie debates.  Whatever the value of SourceForge (or
Bugzilla for that matter) it still means going to another site with a
whole new set of rules and operatiung procedures.  These are certainly
essential for any system but sometimes for the non-techie even little
bumps in the road can seem like huge learning cliffs to climb.  The mere
thought of going to another site can be user unfriendly.

My guess is (and the techies can probably confirm this) that many of the
"bugs" are rooted in a user's failure to grasp some technical detail
that is second nature to another user.  If these problems are put on the
bug report page, it's also easier for another non-techie user to
respond.  The techies can scout that page as easily as anyone else, and
move it to a more technical environment as appropriate.

The argument that these pages just seemed to get longer makes sense too,
but a little housecleaning from time to time helps too.  Once a simple
answer has been given to a simple question that thread will have
outlived its usefulness after a month, and should be deleted.  If the
article is too long and a new person has the same problem, he will
probably enter it anew instead of reading the whole long article.

As Toby said, the article is still there and editable, so why not just
use it if you don't feel like going to SourceForge.

Eclecticology