[Wikipedia-l] How about the legal stuff when use of audio on wikipedia

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Wed Aug 7 17:02:00 UTC 2002

> Can we use sound clips under fair use on Wikipedia
> while maintaining that the encyclopedia is covered by
> the GFDL?

The GFDL applies to our original content.  If someone wants
to use an article from here (or an original image or sound clip),
he is free to do so if he abides by the GFDL.  WE are free to
include some sounds and images that are fully copyrighted under
fair use; someone else who gets them from our site will still
himself have to qualify for fair use--the GFDL does not apply to
works we have included here under that doctrine.  That's why it's
important do document the source of an image on its description
page--just because WE have the right to use it doesn't mean that
everyone using Wikipedia articles also has that right (though
many probably will).

> What about songs that are under, say, Canadian
> copyright? Canadian copyright law has no provisions
> for "fair use".

If Canada wants to extradite, let them try.