[Wikipedia-l] policy suggestion: SAMPA

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Mon Aug 5 18:55:15 UTC 2002

Tom Parmenter wrote:

>The intimidating SAMPA table gives examples like { "as in London
>English cat".

Hm. Must go clean that up!

>Would that be Cockney or BBC?  I don't speak
>either. The best system for me would be to render it in Spanish,
>Norwegian, or German, phonetic languages that I know how to
>pronounce. (smiley)

Absolutely. We could have a SAMPA/German, SAMPA/Norwegian and
SAMPA/Spanish pages, each giving pronunciation guides for the same
common symbols.
And there's another case for using the IPA or a derivative: non-English
speakers won't necessarily know how to pronounce "CHOW-pek"