[Wikipedia-l] What a wiki table syntax needs to do to work with current table layouts

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 4 19:04:38 UTC 2002

On Sunday 04 August 2002 11:27 am,  tarquin wrote:
> I second the comment on right-aligned tables.
> They force content that flows to the left of the table to be far too
> narrow to read -- unless one widens the entire window, and then the
> full-width content is too wide to read comfortably.
>
> Tables should be within the flow as a block in their own right, likewise
> images.

This simply won't work for long tables such as the elements tables of even
with shorter ones like the country pages. All that is needed is diligence in
not making these tables too wide. Granted the elements tables are a bit fat
and are at the maximum of tolerance for low res screens but the taxonomy
tables are not in the vast majority of cases.

Table content is important too and not having right justification will make
for unnecessarily long articles with hordes of whitespace. The same is true
for image justification. The result will  be a more disjointed article with
that will not have /any/ readability benefits in or out of edit mode.

--mav