[Wikipedia-l] policy suggestion: SAMPA

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sun Aug 4 17:56:26 UTC 2002

I suggest we formulate a policy on using SAMPA for pronunciation of words
In the long run, IPA might be nicer, since paper dictionaries &
encyclopedias use it. However, until there's good support for Unicode,
sampa is readable on any browser. If at some point we can switch, the
two are in direct correspondance.

I've started looking for articles which use pseudo-phonetic
transcriptions, & putting a list on
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/SAMPA/To_Do

We could make [[pronounced]] a redirect to SAMPA, or a simplified SAMPA
table page for ease of linking from articles which give pronunciation.