[Wikipedia-l] GNU FDL pictures?

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com
Sun Aug 4 03:21:49 UTC 2002

If I upload a picture and do not specify that I'm releasing it into the public domain (and so release it implicitly under the GNU FDL instead), can that picture be used only in works that are also GNU FDL?  Or could it be reused in traditional, copyrighted works such as newspapers?

What does the GNU FDL say about this, if anything?  What constitutes the article?  The text?  The image?  The layout?  All of the above?  Some of the above?

Is there any way to release pictures for reuse only in GNU FDL or GPL works (and not in copyrighted works such as e.g. <i>The New York Times</i>)?  Yes, I'm serious about that.

thanks,

kq