[Wikipedia-l] Wiki Table syntax already a feature request

Jens Frank JeLuF at gmx.de
Fri Aug 2 16:11:04 UTC 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:05:56PM -0700, lcrocker at nupedia.com wrote:
> ><wiki table, center, thin line>
> >|{light blue} ^ '''Mailing label''' ^|/
> >|Name:         |John Doe             |/
> >|Address:      |2000 Main Street     |/
> >| Postal Code: |123456               |/
> ></wiki table>
>
> I don't like it at all.  Tarquin still has the best idea so far--it
> just needs to be fleshed out a bit.

One of the tables I like in wikipedia is this one:
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Beryllium

I think this is a very apropriate way to present the information,
some kind of fact sheet. tarquin's proposal needs to get some
kind of markup to mark the labels (which are then rastered with
background color according to selected skin).

[[Table:Factsheet]]
|== General ==
| [[List of elements by name|Name]], [[List of elements by symbol|Symbol]], [[List of elements by number|Number]]
| Beryllium, Br, 4
| [[periodic table series|Series]]
| [[alkali earth metal]]s
|== Atomic ==

If inside a table, headers would be rendered as table headers, spanning the
whole table, changing the style of the field containing them.

I see no easy way for the embedded table used to render the 6-column layout at the
bottom of the table. Does one need this?

Regards,

JeLuF