[Wikipedia-l] suggestion: truncated watch list

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 2 07:21:22 UTC 2002

Eclecticology wrote:

>Tarquin wrote:

>>Could the WatchList page be limited to a number of days like RecentChanges?
>>Mine is getting rather long & it takes a while to generate.
>>Maybe a truncated WatchList page could give a link to a complete
>>watchlist which would be displayed as a dumb list with no dates &
>>times of edits (which I presume is what causes the load on the server)

>At the risk of being slightly sarcastic, wouldn't a better solution be
>to edit your own WatchList to remove things that you no longer really
>need to watch?

No, I want a long Watchlist too, and I agree with Tarquin.
I want to know if *any* of these pages is edited, however minorly,
but I don't want to wait for them to load on the special page.
For my money, adopting the format of other special pages,
listing only the past 3 days or the past 30 edits by default,
will be quite sufficient; no need for new formats like dumb lists.

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>