[Wikipedia-l] Sysop status

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Fri Aug 2 07:07:42 UTC 2002

Jeroen Heijmans wrote:

>Also, because much of the deletions that do occur do not comply with the Wikipedia
>policy on permanent deletion of pages (especially rule 6), I'm sometimes confused.

I don't think that it's possible for a deletion not to comply with rule 6;
it's *failures* of deletions that don't comply with that rule.
That's because, unlike other rules, it says *to* delete,
which the other rules say *not* to delete.
That is, it doesn't say to delete *only* pages with names
that will never become the names of encyclopaedia articles;
it says to delete those (leaving open the possibility of others),
except where that conflicts with the other, restraining rules.
(Hence the language about keeping the other rules in mind.)
At least, that's the way that *I* read it.

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>