[Wikipedia-l] suggestion: truncated watch list

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Thu Aug 1 17:51:13 UTC 2002

>>  Could the WatchList page be limited to a number of days like
>> RecentChanges?
>> Mine is getting rather long & it takes a while to generate.
>> Maybe a truncated WatchList page could give a link to a complete
>> watchlist which would be displayed as a dumb list with no dates &
>> times of edits (which I presume is what causes the load on the
server)

>At the risk of being slightly sarcastic, wouldn't a better solution
be
>to edit your own WatchList to remove things that you no longer
really
>need to watch?

The software should be able to deal with capacity issues like this,
though I agree that it's probably better to have a smaller
watchlist.  Another suggestion is to just create a page under your
user space that's just a collection of links to the pages you're
interested in.  Then you can use the "Watch links" feature to look
for changes on all those pages, and the ones on your watchlist will
appear bold there, so you get a two-level watchlist.