[Wikipedia-l] IP blocking

wojtek pobratyn wojtek.pobratyn at gmx.net
Tue Apr 2 18:10:38 UTC 2002

> Is there a message that pops up to explain to a person who has his/her IP
> blocked that they have their IP blocked? I often wonder if I have offended
>
> anyone when I can't access wikipedia at all for several hours to sometimes
>
> days from home (and then am able to access it from work or school for a
> while, then nothing - no other sites seem to be affected). Are these
> outages
> normal? Is there a problem with me being behind a firewall? Or am I in
> fact
> on somebodies sh*t-list? Just wondering.....

I don't think the firewall has anything to do with it. If you can access
other webpages then you should be able to edit the 'pedia... There has been a
ca. 16 hour outage today (erm, that is Tuesday) though.

BTW, I don't think that anyone has used the block IP 'feature' yet as it
seems to be pretty buggy (according to Magnus and/or Brian V.).

> BTW since everyone else that contributes regularly seems to have admit
> status
> now, I was wondering if I could also be given that status - for the times
> when I catch somebody uploading copyrighted material or when a nasty
> vandal
> is having fun in the wee hours in the morning.

e-mail Jimbo with your request and he'll probably be more than glad to do it
for you;-)

regards,
wojpob

http://www.gmx.net